Friday, March 20, 2009

I just realized the coolest thing! I write a column for our REALTOR Association, and I have to be very careful what I say - after all, it is being published under the Sedona Verde Valley Association of REALTORS umbrella. In my last missive for them, I myself replaced "chicken****" with "chickencaca" and then they replaced that with "cowardly," as I guess they should have.

But guess what? In this forum I can say "chickencaca," and I'll bet that sooner or later I do.



So let's talk about what it means to be a REALTOR, a member of the National Association of REALTORs. A plain licensee can be just that - a person who is licensed to sell real estate - as opposed to, well, me. A licensee doesn't have a Code of Ethics. As a REALTOR, I do have that big book and years of training, and my clients have the protection that comes with working with a REALTOR. (As I said in the last post, I'm not yelling when I put REALTOR in all caps. Those are the rules.)



So what does all of this mean to a member of the public?

Let's pretend that you're working with a REALTOR and something happens that raises the hairs up on the back of your neck. What to do?
First, call that REALTOR's broker and explain what happened.
Second, go to www.realtor.org and get a copy of the Code.
Third, read it.
Fourth, talk to the REALTOR that you had a problem with.
If all is not resolved at that point,
Fourth, contact the Association of REALTORs in your state and ask for an ombudsman. (An ombudsman is a neutral third party, a REALTOR trained to informally try to resolve difficulties before they become full-blown complaints. Don't be cynical and think, "Yeah, right. A REALTOR helping me against another REALTOR? Ain't gonna happen!" It will happen. We hate hate hate it when a bad apple is out there destroying all of our hard work.)
If it's still not fixed, file a grievance with your state's Association of REALTORs.

As a member of the public who chooses to work with a REALTOR, you have rights, and the Code of Ethics and the REALTORs vigorously protect your rights.

Holler if you have any questions. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment